Thomas Jefferson Hospital Malpractice Lawsuits
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital is one of the largest hospitals in Philadelphia. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital was originally founded in 1825 as part of the Jefferson Medical College. Located in City Center, Philadelphia, TJU hospital employs has 956 beds and employs over 800 full-time staff doctors. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital is one of the busiest hospitals in Philadelphia with over 40,000 patient admissions each year.
Like many other large regional hospitals, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital began acquiring other Philadelphia hospitals over the last 20 years. As a result, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital is now the flagship hospital of the Jefferson Health group which includes the following hospitals:
- Abington Hospital (Abington, PA)
- Abington Lansdale Hospital (Lansdale, PA)
- Jefferson Bucks Hospital (Langhorne, PA)
- Jefferson Cherry Hill Hospital (Cherry Hill, NJ)
- Jefferson Frankford Hospital (North Philadelphia)
- Jefferson Stratford Hospital (Stratford, NJ)
- Jefferson Torresdale Hospital (Northeast Philadelphia)
- Jefferson Washington Township Hospital (Turnersville, NJ)
- Jefferson Hospital for Neuroscience (Downtown Philadelphia)
- Magee Rehabilitation Hospital (East Philadelphia)
- Methodist Hospital (South Philadelphia)
Under Pennsylvania law, medical malpractice lawsuits can only be filed in the court where the alleged malpractice took place. This means that if you want to sue one of the hospitals in the Jefferson Health system for malpractice you can only file suit in the county where the hospital is located. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and most of the other hospitals in the Jefferson Health system are in Philadelphia. So malpractice lawsuits against these hospitals would be filed in Court of Common Pleas for Philadelphia County.Reported Settlements & Verdicts
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital is generally considered to be the 2nd best hospital in Philadelphia but it is a large, high volume hospital in an urban setting - mistakes and malpractice are unavoidable. Below is a summary of some recently reported settlements and verdicts in malpractice cases against Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. In most of these cases, TJU Hospital is one of several named defendants in the case and liability is often split between the hospital and co-defendant doctors.
- Clark v. Thomas Jefferson Univ. Hosp.: This was a wrongful death case brought against Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and one of its doctors after a patient died from a blood clot in her lung. The malpractice suit was based on failure to diagnose and alleged that the doctor did not order appropriate diagnostic tests that would have revealed the condition. The suit alleged that Jefferson Hospital was vicariously liable for the actions of the doctor. The case was aggressively defended but a jury awarded the plaintiff $6 million.
- Muhlbauer v. Thomas Jefferson Hospitals Inc.: The plaintiff underwent surgery for a septic infection in her arm at Jefferson Health's Methodist Hospital in South Philadelphia. The suit alleged that the doctor used poor surgical technique and damaged a nerve in the plaintiff's arm as a result. Jefferson Health was liable for the negligence of the doctor as an agent of one of its hospitals. The case went to trial and the jury awarded $850,000 in damages to the plaintiff.
- Felder v. Methodist Hosp.: This was a wrongful death suit against Jefferson Health's Methodist Hospital located in South Philadelphia. The patient underwent surgery at Methodist to treat gallstone pancreatitis. He was cleared for surgery at Methodist despite an abnormally low heart rate. Following the surgery, the patient complained of pain and blood was found on his dressing. He was found dead in the bathroom of his hospital room the next day. The lawsuit alleged that the hospital and its doctors were negligent in clearing the patient for surgery and in his post-operative care. A jury in Philadelphia awarded $400,000 in damages and found the hospital was 50% responsible.
Has an injury gone undetected due to the negligence of a doctor, nurse or hospital? You are entitled to justice and compensation for the harm done to you. Miller & Zois is here to help you. We have a long history of obtaining large settlements and verdicts in medical malpractice cases in Maryland. Get a free online case review or call us today at 800-553-8082.
- Penn Medicine Malpractice Claims
- Einstein Medical Malpractice Claims
- Statute of limitations in Pennsylvania in regular malpractice cases and birth injury claims, which is a particular focus of our law firm
- Bringing a birth injury case in PA